NILC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for available postitions. NILC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
Online Communications Associate (Los Angeles)
JUNE 2014 | Download
Online Communications Associate
Position and Background
Creating an inspired, active, and interactive online presence is essential to increasing awareness of the National Immigration Law Center’s (NILC’s) brand, adding to our growing community of supporters, and encouraging involvement in our campaigns and events. We are seeking an Online Communications Associate to help manage our communications via social media, email messages, our website, and our constituent relationship management (CRM) system, to provide people with a rich, interactive experience with our brand. This is an exciting opportunity for a creative and tech-savvy communications specialist who has a passion for our mission and a desire to mobilize. The ideal candidate will have a passion for social justice and the technical skills to help our organization better connect with audiences on a wide variety of platforms.
NILC’s mission is to defend and advance the rights of low-income immigrants and their families. NILC envisions a country in which all people—regardless of their race, gender, immigration or economic status—are treated fairly and humanely, and have equal access to justice, education, government resources and economic opportunities that make it possible for them to achieve their full human potential. NILC has been a national leader for over three decades in legal and policy advocacy efforts to ensure that low-income immigrants have opportunities to prosper and thrive. Through innovative policy and legal advocacy strategies, we have won landmark decisions protecting fundamental due process and civil rights, thwarted policy changes that would have devastated the lives of low-income immigrants and their family members, and advanced major policies that reinforce our nation’s values of equality and justice for all.
- Deliver electronic messages and help develop content for effective online communication.
- Manage NILC’s social media platforms.
- Assist in the rollout of mass email messages, press releases, and multi-platform campaigns.
- Assist with organizing and executing webinars and telephonic press briefings.
- Manage and maintain NILC’s constituent relationship management (CRM) system.
- Collaborate with others in the ongoing development of campaign communications and content.
- Manage the building and maintaining of NILC’s photo and video archives.
- Collect internal information and disseminate it among all staff by coordinating a regular internal NILC newsletter.
- Monitor, analyze, and report data about the size, growth, and activity of NILC’s audiences on various platforms (social media, email, website).
- Serve as a backup media contact and as the primary monitor of NILC’s “contact us” email address.
- Help the editor update and maintain NILC’s website.
Minimum of one year of directly relevant work experience is required. BA/BS is preferred. Candidates with some combination of college and/or work experience and who can clearly demonstrate proficiency in the skills outlined in this announcement may be considered.
- Interest or background in social justice, immigrants’ rights, or progressive social change.
- Excellent verbal, written, and editing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with HTML via HTML editing software, such as Dreamweaver, FrontPage, tinyMCE, or similar software programs.
- Ability to frame issues for specific audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to use new media tools to communicate with and motivate target groups to take action.
- Experience in the use of email management tools.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Fluency in commonly used computer programs, including “cloud”-based programs, e.g., Microsoft Office and CRMs such as Salsa, eTapestry, Salesforce, etc.
- Experience using photo-editing and graphic design/desktop-publishing software such Photoshop, InDesign, etc., a plus.
- Experience using social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, G+, Reddit, StumbleUpon, YouTube, and experience with third-party applications to manage multiple streams.
- Diligence and follow-through on many simultaneous communication threads.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary DOE. Benefits include health, dental, and vision; flexible spending account; 403(b) employer retirement plan contribution after two years.
This position is open until filled with priority given to applications received by July 7, 2014. Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and a separate list of at least three professional references to the National Immigration Law Center, Ref # OCA0614, in PDF format by email to email@example.com only. Position is open immediately. Please do not send duplicate materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must have all materials requested above in your application. No phone calls, please.
NILC is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. NILC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship status, ethnic background, religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information age, or disability.